Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Moments of Greatness

Having kids isn't easy. As babies, we labor with them. As toddlers, we chase after them. As little kids, we worry as we send them off to school and watch them grow. As preteens, we chauffeur them around and put up with less than stellar attitudes. As teenagers, we fear for them and watch them struggle to find out who they are and what they want from life.

But, amid all of this there are moments of greatness. Moments so sweet, it makes you weep with love, pride, or joy. When they are babies, sometimes it is just that wonderful baby smell or the pure innocence and promise of a life just beginning. As little kids, it can be watching them play with pure joy or the way they hug you so tight and never want to let go. As preteens, it's that quick hug they give you when no one is watching, or the wonder in their eyes as they discover talents they didn't know they had.  As teenagers, it can be the pride of watching them excel at something they worked very hard for, or the bittersweet feeling of knowing they can take care of themselves now.

I didn't really put much thought into karma or yin and yang before I had kids. Now, I see it everyday. I feel the joy and pain they bring. I see the light and dark in them. I hear the kindness and bitterness in their words.

All this light and dark, love and pain, pride and disappointment can make being a mom seem like a constant roller coaster ride. These kids keep us on our toes. You never know what they will bring home with them when they walk in the door after school: homework, detention slips, school projects, hugs, smiles, tears, dirty gym clothes, trombones, girlfriends/boyfriends.

But guess what? I love roller coasters! Bring it on, kiddos. Give me your best and I will cheer for you, give me your worst and I will cry with you and help you in any way I can.

I Love You,
Mom (Jen)

If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been.  ~Robert Brault

No comments:

HyperSmash.com