Friday, February 10, 2012

Goodbye orange duck tape!

If you've read the previous posts, you know that I try, as much as possible to fill my life with love, joy, and happiness. That's true, but in reality, problems do occur and frustration does mount. In the past I've let these problems get to me and ruin my day, but today something magical happened.

We have a hole in our bathtub. It started small and I put clear sealant over it. It got bigger and I put duck tape over it (all I had was bright orange, truly an uglier bathtub could not be found). Yesterday, it got much worse and sealant and orange duck tape were no longer a solution.

I really don't like calling repairmen. I like fixing things myself, doing lots of research and watching videos until I feel confident I can do it. In the past I have learned that I can change out and do routine maintenance on the hot water heater, replace the heating element in the oven, replace the belt on the dryer, and most recently changed the brake pads and rotors on my car. My husband just shakes his head at me and probably wishes I wasn't so stubborn about fixing things.

Back to the tub, he told me to call a repairman, but first I did my research, watched dozens of videos, and located an online store that sold do-it-yourself kits. I pondered awhile, but finally admitted that although I probably could fix it (poorly), it would be better to call a professional. After calling 3 places and leaving 3 messages, frustration started to set in. I want to fix it, but I can't. I called the repairmen, but they didn't answer. The frustration was mounting, and in the back of my head was the thought that this is going to cost way too much.

Finally, someone called me back. He sounded capable but not very friendly. He was annoyed about driving out to where we live, but there was nothing I could do about that, the tub ain't coming to you, buddy! Then he quoted $550 and after a small panic attack, I grumpily made the appointment, for next week.

I really wasn't happy about this, I pondered replacing the whole tub and putting up tile instead of the shower surround, but that was just too scary and if there were problems, it was going to cost a lot more than $550. But of course, I watched videos about installing tubs and tile. Then the magic happened...

I found a video that featured this very cheerful, kind hearted man that refinished and repaired tubs. I watch several of his videos, and I was so excited about them, I'd start another one before the previous one ended. I really wished THIS GUY could come fix my tub, wishing with all my heart that he lived near me, but what were the odds of that? About that time, the phone rang and while I talked on the phone, the current video was coming to an end and I saw the location of the company out of the corner of my eye. What? Where? Oh my goodness, this guy's company was in the large city next to us and said it serviced the surrounding cities!!

I immediately called the number and Jose, the man in the videos answered the phone. We had a wonderful conversation, he said I might not need such extensive repairs and he would be very honest about what we needed once he came out. We laughed and shared stories and talked about the videos and then he asked me if I wanted to schedule an appointment now. YES, of course! Then he checks his calendar and says they had a big job that got cancelled for tomorrow and could they come out on Saturday? Abso-freaking-lutely! Then he quoted me the price, $130 less than the previous quote.

It's still expensive, but I am so excited! I don't have to take a day off work, it will cost less, and I get to support the business of this wonderful, kind owner. It sounds corny, I know, but if I'm going to spend the money, I'd much rather support Jose's business than the grumpy grump that I first talked to.

Trust your instincts, take your time, follow your heart, and say good bye to orange duck tape!

Jen

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. --Douglas Adams

2 comments:

Jim said...

Love your writing Jenny. Keep it up!

M-A-M said...

Yay! Orange duct tape...almost sounds like a Seussian tub!

HyperSmash.com