Monday, February 13, 2012

Love: What do your kids see?

Motherhood is the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done. I have two teenage boys and they truly are amazing young men. I know that I've done more good than harm to them, but it is not always easy.

As moms we want our kids to be perfect. When they come into breakfast in the morning, my first reaction is to tell them to button this or tuck in that. Thankfully, early on in their lives I heard a interview with Maya Angelou and Oprah and Maya asked, "What do your children see on your face when they walk in the room? Do they see you taking inventory and finding them lacking?"

I am guilty of this sometimes, but I try to keep my face open and welcome them in the mornings with love. Who really cares if their clothes are perfect? If it's important enough to them, they will figure it out. In our house it's hugs and kisses first thing in the morning, then breakfast, then we talk about the events of the upcoming day and I tell them to do their best and have fun, then if they need it, I'll suggest maybe a gentle "comb your hair" or "zip your pants" (that is a pretty important one).

In the afternoons, I make an effort to be super excited to see them when they get home. Sometimes I am tired or in a bad mood, but I want them to know how happy I am to be with them again. Then we talk about their day, I ask about any homework or projects that need to be done, and then I ask them to tell me at least one good thing that happened to them today. This last one shows me what is most important to them. With one son, it's almost always something that happened in band, and the other, it's usually something that happened in theater.

All parents are different. All kids are different. We are all human, and we all crave love and acceptance. Now that you are aware, what does your child see when he/she looks into your face? Let it be love and you will both be the better for it.

Jen

If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, and then go out in the street and start grinning "Good Morning" to total strangers.  - Maya Angelou

No comments:

HyperSmash.com